Who I'm - LGBT

One of my dear friend asked me. " How can somebody be even gay"
All I could answer was "it's completely normal"
But deep down I realised , I never understood about the whole queer movement.
Gender and sexuality are 'taken for granted' identities in our society without being questioned at all. A person is identified only by the external genitalia about gender and the external genitalia defines whom the person should be attracted to - sexuality.
But the whole idea of LGBT is , we have started to ask "who we are ?" To ourselves. LGBT is not something new,it is not a millennial revolution like Artificial intelligence. It has been there right from humanity existed and it has been there in documented in more than 450 species of animals as well.
When I introduce myself , I would say " I m Sangeetha" and then the way I have dressed, my voice,my physique, how long my hair length is,my accessories everything "signifies" that I m a "female". And the next level of notions are built up by the person opposite to me and I have never been questioned in return. "Are you a female". I will be called as she,her and hers. I m considered to be attracted to men and only men and not otherwise.

But I never have told anyone in my life that I m female. And I don't have a problem when people assume things about my gender because I have been a female and I m a heterosexual . What if people really do have a problem about it?

That's when the whole confusion, misunderstanding,branding for homosexuality plays a major role. The most appropriate way of introducing myself is "I m Sangeetha. I m a cis female. And I want to be addressed as she,her and hers"
I m not saying anything new. This is a very common way of introducing ourselves in many millennials nowadays. When you have the liberty to question your nationality,religion,caste,creed, demography,political ideas and every other belief system why cant you question your gender and sexuality?!?!

I feel inadequate whenever I try to talk about LGBT to people around. Because that's one concealed area of expertise, as a generation we never talk or discuss or try to solve queries.
We can analyse this revolution of gender and sexuality from psychological, medical,social,religious and any number of political dimensions. But this is not even something that should be analysed in the first place. It has to be accepted as natural not because it is not unnatural but because it's completely natural . And when we can murder innocent lives in the name of colour, when religious Extremism is accepted,when capitalism making poor people poorer is considered ambitious,when people are dying of healthcare,polio,wars ...how does it even matter when someone say they are not that 'someone' and that someone is attracted to the same 'someone'.
We don't have to convince anyone that queers are also normal people. That homosexuality is the way of life . Let's start respecting the person next to us and respect the values they carry. That's all and more than enough.

Comments

Popular Posts